Friday, April 06, 2007

Order of Service for Maundy Thursday:

CALL TO WORSHIP
One: We enter the place of God Quietly.
All: Our hearts are Quiet.
One: We seek the presence of God.
All: Our hearts are searching.
One: We open our lives to God.
All: Our hearts are open.
One: We find the love of God.
All: Our hearts are full.
One: We have come to worship God.
All: All glory, praise and honor be to God. Amen.

READING: “Holy Week” by Ann Weems

HYMN # 438 The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, Is Ended

READING: Exodus 12 1 – 14 (The First Passover)

PRAYER:
One: Examine me, O God, and know my heart;
test and judge my thoughts.
All: Find any deceit in me and guide me in the way of life.
(silence)
One: Create in me a new heart, O God,
All: and strengthen me with a constant spirit!
(silence)
One: All God asks of us is a humble spirit;
All: God accepts a contrite heart.
One: God has delivered us from death,
our eyes from tears, our feet from stumbling.
All: We walk with God in the land of the living.

READING: John 13: 1 – 17, 31B – 35

HYMN # 433 Day is Done

THE LORD IS MY SHEPHERD
All: The Lord is my Shepherd …

One: I am the good shepherd,
and I know my sheep and my sheep know me;
and I am willing to lay down my life for them.
All: He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me to water where I may rest; he revives my spirit.
Men: Jesus, never at any time are you going to wash my feet!
One: Peter, if I don’t wash your feet, you will no longer be my disciple.
Men: Then don’t just wash my feet, Lord;
wash my head and hands as well.
All: For his name’s sake, he guides me in the right paths.
One: I am the way and the truth and the life:
no one comes to the Father except by me.
All: Even if I were to walk through a valley of deepest darkness …
One: Golgotha.
All: Even if I were to walk through a valley …
One: Gethsemane.
All: Even if I were to walk …
One: They stripped him and whipped him and spat upon him
and hit him over the heard and led him out …
(pause)
I will fear no harm, for you are with me;
your staff and crook strengthen me.
All: You spread a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
One: One of you sitting here is going to betray me.

Men: Lord, is it me?
Women: Lord, is it me?
One: Do what you have to do, but do it quickly.
(pause)
You have richly bathed my head with oil.
Women: It’s a waste!
It could have been sold for a fortune,
and the money given to the poor.
One: You’ll always have the poor with you but you won’t always have me.
What this woman has done was to prepare me for my burial,
ahead of time. She has done something fine and beautiful.
All: You have richly bathed my head with oil
and my cup runs over.

One: Father, take away this cup of suffering from me.
It is possible for you to do that.
Nevertheless, let it be not what I want, but what you want.
All: Goodness and love unfailing …
these will follow me all the days of my life.

Men: Lord, where are you going?
One: Where I am going, you cannot, for now, come.
But one day you will.
All: And I shall live in the house of the Lord all the days of my life.
One: In my Father’s house are many rooms.
I am going there to prepare a place for you.
And if I go, I will come back and take you to myself,
so that where I am, you may be also.
BREAKING OF THE BREAD, POURING OF THE CUP
When Jesus knew that his hour had come,
he gathered with his friends for a meal.
Getting up from the table,
he tied a towel around himself and washed their feet.
And after he had finished, he said,
“I have set an example for you; do as I have done to you.”
Then he took bread, blessed it, and gave it, even to Judas, saying,
“I am the Bread of Life. Do this to remember me.”
And he blessed the cup, and gave it to them saying,
“I am the True Vine. Drink of this cup to remember me.”
Then he gave them a new commandment, saying,
“Love one another as I have loved you.
By this everyone will know that you are my disciples,
if you have love for one another.”

HYMN # 471 Eat This Bread and Never Hunger

READING: Sit Here While I Pray …

SCRIPTURE READING: John 18: 1 – 13
HYMN # 182 Stay with Us through the Night

READING: It Was on a Thursday

CLOSING PRAYER:
One: We will remember the soothing,
All: and not forget the jarring.
One: we will remember the sweetness,
All: and not forget the sour.
One: We will remember the jagged desperateness of Judas,
All: and own it; it is our story too.
One: We will remember
Women: the passion of love,
Men: the smell of perfume,
Women: the pain of rejection,
Men: the stench of blood money.
One: And to help us on the journey, to help us hold the tension,
to help us face both the delight and the difficulty,
All: We will say yes to God’s generosity in creation,
We will say yes to God’s justice in Jesus.
DEPART IN PEACE:
There are no dances for dark days.
There is no music to bellow the pain.
The best we can do is remain still and silent
and try to remember the face of God …
and how to kneel and how to pray …


A time of fellowship shall follow,
Please feel free to stay….
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In the darkness, we await the dawn…

The majority of the Liturgy used was taken from
Stages on the Way
Worship Resources for Lent, Holy Week & Easter
a publication of
the Iona Community
&
The Wild Goose Worship Group

No comments: