Sunday, February 12, 2006

Church Fire in Minnedosa ...

There are no easy words in this moment.

This morning sometime between 4 and 5 am, someone broke into our 105 year and set a fire in the cloak room ... By 6am, the building was fully involved ... by 7 am the roof and the steeple caved in and it was gone.

The Sanctuary is a total loss ... The offices and the Hall are still standing and NOT fire damaged. We have been in, and and taken out photos, pictures, my worship garb, and the majority of my library ... The fireman had earlier saved some very, very precious items for me (and for that I am thankful). The losses are simply staggering ... I can't even begin to think about what we've lost - the heritage and historical things ... the Bibles, the hymn books, the Choir gowns and music, the furniture, the pews, the handmade items ... Oh, so many things ...

We've wept bitter tears, we've raged at the unfairness of it, and we laughed in the memories of a building that is an integral component in the fabric of our town ... In coming days I will share more ... tonight and can only ask for prayers ...

peace ...

No comments: