Sunday, February 19, 2006

One week after the fire ...

Last week at this time, I was still struggling with my sermon ... the words weren't coming, the Sunday School programme wasn't working for me, and my soul was troubled ...

Then came the 6am call that changed my world ... and the world of our community and our church ...

It has been a week. The journey has been challenging, frustrating, infuriating and at times even fun ... I wouldn't wish it on anyone, but at the same I wouldn't miss any of it for the world ...

Today though, we returned in a way to what we do best - gather people together and through music and food celebrated being the church ... The day began in a rush - I was trying to get my bulletin done for tomorrow, the phone was ringing, the kids were fighting ... and then word came that the Klusmeier ensemble was on its way into town ... the next two hours were a total blur as I dashed to the school to help them set up, and in short order, Ron and his group had the workshops underway and the afternoon was soon over.

Then the AOTS Mens' Club provided supper for all who gathered, and it was on to the concert ...

I hope anyone who reads this and knows the location and date of the Klusmeier concert stops nearest you will heed my words and GO !!!! It's well worth it.

The music and readings and multi-media presentation is a powerful evening ... for us, as we begin to slowly rise from the ashes, there was a message in the music ... a message of resurrection. Song Circling all the Earth, is a wonderful musical odyssey that lifts the soul and brings comfort through song to those who listen ... Trust me on this one ...

The night ended with hugs and more food and a feeling of knowing in the core of our being that we have never been alone, even at those times this week when it felt that way ...

It has only been a week ... and we have taken many tiny steps that have helped draw us close to the resurrection that WILL come ... Tomorrow will be a hard day ... we will gather in a borrowed sanctuary ... we will acknowledge our losses, and the simple fact we are a homeless people ... but we will celebrate the faith that in time WILL lead us home.

We may be homeless, but we are not without hope or faith ... and with hope and faith, and the love that has been shared so richly from everyone ... we will rise again ...

dayenu, and shalom,

No comments: