Tuesday, February 28, 2006

And the memories continue to come ...


Today in the inbox there was an email from another member of our vast extended family ... this one had some pictures attached.

We've had many emails and quite a few pictures. But these were a bit different - in this case it was pictures of the delivery of the refurbished pews when they were brought back to the church in 1997 ...

The attached email read:

As with so many people I have been saddened by the loss of the church. So many memories flood my mind; Sunday school, Christmas eve services, attending strawberry teas and 4H speeches, numerous family weddings and funerals-- My own wedding and the baptism of my daughter. I have been following the articles in the Brandon Sun and being kept informed by my siblings who still live in Minnedosa. Today in the mail (my sister) sent me a copy of the February 20 Minnedosa Tribune. As I read the articles and check the blog from time to time the beauty of the church comes to mind time and time again. More than once the beautiful stained glass windows, which will forever be etched in my and many other's minds I am sure, have been mentioned. At the time of my wedding I, like many young adults had not settled into a church of my own yet. I could not imagine having gotten married anywhere but Minnedosa United. The summer( August 1997) B--- and I got married the church was under going a bit of a facelift with new carpeting and the pews being refinished. When I approached Elgin Hall and tried to pick out a date he said the weekend I wanted was the first possible the church would be completed. As the date approached, the carpet was installed, but the pews were still being refurbished. Elgin told me at one point you can get married in the church but everyone one may have to stand. I have attached pictures of the pews being hauled down the street in front of the church only a few days before the wedding. The church was beautiful that day as always and when I look at the photos now of my wedding and my daughter's baptism these family treasures bring a new value and set of memories to me.

Such is the legacy of a building that for 105 years has stood at the heart (figuratively and literally) of our community here in Minnedosa ... I welcome other notes, photos and memories ... It reminds us that we've lost something special, but the memories remain ...

L'Chaim,

No comments: