Thursday, March 23, 2006

Living the WOW in a small town ... spring begins ...

The day was simply glorious: sunny, mild, puddles everywhere from melting snow ... and a real feeling of spring in the air ... It was a great day!!

I spent my second (much needed, and even more appreciated) day off in a row, walking around town ... coffee at Chipperfields', a visit with the Library staff and lunch with Rotary ... it was a good day. But what struck me, was the number of times I got stopped on the street and asked: "so, you guys (the church) ready to rebuild yet??"

When I would answer - "not yet, we have a few hoops to jump ..." the next question would be: "You ARE rebuilding on the same site?? Aren't you??"

The affirmative put people at ease, and they would comment on what the building meant to them, or offer to help, or speak a word of encouragement ... It was awe inspiring. It is the joy of a small town. As spring breaks across the prairies, and the weather warms, we lay aside our winter attitudes and winter clothes and a warmth and friendliness settles in ... It's been a good day to live in a small prairie town ...

I'm mindful that it was six years ago this week that I had my interview with the Search Committee here ... we spoke over the phone and the next day they called back and asked if I could arrange to come out from BC for a face to face??

Early the next week I flew from Vancouver to Winnipeg and drove out from the airport to Minnedosa to have a face to face interview ... I can still vividly remember stepping into the sanctury on a late spring morning. It was simply incredible ... I can still close my eyes and picture in my mind what the sanctuary looked like that day ... In the six years since I've been awestruck by the sanctuary every time I stepped into it ... That's my loss - I miss the sanctuary space of our old church ...

Today over coffee with my friend and colleague Boyd Drake (from Rapid City) I named for the first time how much I miss that space, and how disconnected I feel without it ... The Sanctuary at St Alphonsus' is nice, but it's not the place I fell in love with when I walked through the doors that fateful March afternoon ...

Today as I walked through a sunny day, I thought of that wonderful sunny afternoon when I stepped through the doors of the sanctuary and said simply - "wow !!" In time, I want whatever we build to have that same effect on me ... otherwise, i may not feel like home ... One day I want to walk through the doors of our NEW sanctuary and be able to say simply: "wow !!" Then I'll feel connected and centred again ...

... until then ...

L'chaim

No comments: