Friday, March 17, 2006

Prayer shawls and warm wishes ...

In yesterday's mail, there was a LARGE parcel from John Black United Church in Winnipeg. I took it to the office and opened it only to find three beautiful knitted, or crocheted "THINGS." I thought they seemed too small for afghans, so I wasn't sure what they were. I put them on one of the chairs in my office and decided I would call the folks at John Black and ask ... it could wait, there were other things that took priority.

So about an hour later I was working in the office and I was interupted by a woman visiting from Westminster United, also in Winnipeg. She brought to us as a Church, a beautiful prayer shawl to be passed around our congregation. She opened the box and I thought: "Hold on a second ..." I took her to the other items on my stool and asked if they were the same thing ... She asked where they were from and when I said "John Black", she smiled and said - "oh yes, they do prayer shawls too ..."

She went on to explain how her congregation and one of the ministers in the teams there Joan Jarvis, thought that the shawls would be needed in our midt. They can be used when you feel cold during worship, they can be used when you just need to feel the comfort of something wrapped over your shoulder, or they can be used when you need to feel the support and care of the vast extended family of the Church ... which ever way they are used, the Prayer shawls are a gesture of love and care from beyond our community. Even if they only sit in the basket at the back our worship space, and no one ever dares to take one out and wrap themselves in its handcrafted care, their presence reminds us in a beautiful and caring way that we are not alone.

With the prayer shawls, came the best wishes and the prayers and the love of two wonderful communities of faith ... mere words can't express the appreciation that is felt and lived here as we continue to recieve gifts and best wishes from all over ... Thanks for the shawls, but most of all, thanks for the care and support they represent and offer ...

L'chaim,

No comments: